Getting Started with Cash App
Cash App is the easiest way to send, spend, save, and invest your money.
Here’s how it works:
- Download the app for iPhone or Android
- Create a Cash App account
- Connect Cash App to your bank account
- Add cash to your Cash App
When you have money in Cash App, you can:
- Send money to friends
- Receive money from friends
- Pay for stuff
- Buy/sell stocks
- Buy/sell Bitcoin
Let’s get started.
Create an Account
- Tap on Cash App to launch it
- To create an account, enter your phone number or an email address
- Cash App will send you a secret code via text or email—enter it
- You can invite friends to sign up with Cash App to earn cash (optional)
- Enter your debit card info to link your bank account to Cash App
- Pick a $Cashtag—a unique username you’ll use to send and receive money
- Enter your zip code
- Start using Cash App!
Before you can pay for stuff with Cash App, you need to add some cash to your account.
- Launch Cash App
- Tap the bank icon in the lower left corner to open the Banking tab
- Tap the Add Cash button
- Enter the amount of cash you want to add to Cash App
- Tap the green Add button
More about adding cash here.
Sending and Receiving $
You can quickly send and receive money with Cash App.
- Tap the $ for the Cash App main screen
- Enter the amount of cash you want to send or receive
- Tap Request or Pay to search for a $Cashtag, Phone number, or email address
- Add a note (if you want)
- Tap Request or Pay to complete the transaction
Withdraw cash from your account at any time.
- Tap your Cash App balance in the lower left to open the Banking tab
- Tap the Cash Out button
- Tap to enter the amount of cash you want to withdraw
- Tap the Cash Out button
Learn more about cashing out here.
Cash Card is a Visa debit card connected to your Cash App account. Why would you want a debit card connected to Cash App?
- Boosts with Cash Card – Boosts are discounts for products and services.
- No Fees – There are no additional fees associated with Cash Card.
- Customization – You can make Cash Card your own with custom designs, colors, and materials.
To order a Cash Card:
- Tap the Cash Card tab on your Cash App home screen
- Press Get Cash Card
- Tap Continue
- Follow the steps
Learn more about Cash Card here.
You must be 18 or older to apply for a Cash Card. Cards should arrive within 10 business days. Your Cash Card can be used as soon as you order it, by adding it to Apple Pay and Google Pay, or by using the card details found in the Cash Card tab.
You can easily buy, sell, and send Bitcoin with Cash App.
- Tap the Bitcoin icon at the bottom of the screen
- You’ll see a graph showing the value of Bitcoin over time, and your Bitcoin balance (when you have one).
- Tap the buttons to buy, sell, or send Bitcoin.
For more information about Bitcoin, check out our Bitcoin articles.
You don’t have to be a billionaire to invest in stocks. With Cash App, you can buy fractional shares—tiny pieces of stocks that nearly anyone can afford. You can invest in the largest, most profitable companies on the planet without spending a ton of cash.
- Tap the Investing Tab
- You can learn about, purchase, track, and follow various stocks
For more info, read our Investing articles.
Brokerage services provided by Cash App Investing LLC, member FINRA / SIPC. Investing involves risk; you may lose money. Investments are not FDIC insured. Cash App Investing LLC does not trade bitcoin.
Banking services provided and debit card issued by Sutton Bank or Lincoln Savings Bank, Members FDIC
You can deposit paychecks, tax returns, unemployment benefits, government stimulus payouts and more directly to Cash App.
- Tap the Banking Tab (the $ in the lower left)
- Tap the Direct Deposit link
- Follow the instructions to set up direct deposit
You can direct deposit paychecks, tax returns, unemployment benefits, government stimulus payouts and more. For more information, check out our Direct Deposit pages.
The money in Cash App account balance is covered by the FDIC.